Sunday, April 30, 2006

Instead of Doing Work, I am Watching the Rain

Do you ever see the better part of yourself in the passing of a storm? Well, for me there are times when I allow myself to look past my failings and love the world without question. I love the rumpled clouds, the heavy sheets of rain, the trees bent under the strain of a strong Midwestern wind. I love the dark water puddling in the gutters outside my kitchen, the way the grass is bowed low by thick drops, and a blue sky that is graying toward the set of evening. Beyond the lifted sash of window, I see all that I cannot give to myself and others, spilt onto the world in such exuberance and excess that I feel guilty for my selfish reservations and cynicism.

These are the moments when I realize that generosity and grace, forgiveness and acceptance, play out daily in the spectacle between sky and street, heedless of audience or author, and that all I need do is take up what is cast off so willingly and unrequested. If I could raise a toast then I would raise it to the sky: For what was drained is full, for what was wanting is now found. But . . . what stays when all is movement?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll indulge myself and wax sycophantic, since I too spent part of the day avoiding work and watching the rain:

Your post is so lovely (!); it makes me think if cut grass and splashing in puddles and baking cookies and yes, loving the world without question. How clever to be able to capture that feeling and post it on the internet!

j

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home