Sunday, May 07, 2006

Teaching the Snarks

As long as we are talking about students, I want to add my .5 cents (price adjusted for inflation) to this discussion. Namely, why is the default interpretation of our students exasperation and disappointment? Indeed there are bastards, but I don’t find I teach well when I highlight that particular group. Moreover, there is some danger to such facile and less-than-nuanced interpretations of individuals and our reasons for teaching them.

Here, then, is a challenge to the generationally challenged: What do you enjoy about these individuals; how do they help you to learn about yourselves; how is being in their presence one of the better ways to spend your time; how do they demonstrate that the future is not as bleak as the nihilists would like us to believe?

Definer hints at this notion when he ends his posting entitled “Teacherly”, but isn’t there more? Has not anyone read the article “Teaching as a Mode of Friendship”? Why must there be a hundred entries on the stupidity of students, and fewer that remind us why we chose this vocation?

Even if their numbers are few and their voices are soft, I am thankful to be in the presence of engaged individuals who share my desire to wrestle with the complexity of the world, take the brave step of advancing uncertain arguments, and try to make sense of the sense-making process. This is an environment where I am challenged to work harder, think more clearly, and be engaged with the world.

I do not mean to call out Auditus or Definer, as not all of this argument is with them. Rather, too often during my time on campus I hear the naïve and insecure instructor positing such cynical platitudes (snarks beware). I will grant you that your comments can be humorous, but I don’t know if I am learning anything here, except that being withering can become stale without an alternative. Thus, be teachers and teach us, your fellow teachers. Is not that the more difficult lesson—the sort you ask of your own students? If failure is to be the subject of the day, might not some of this disappointment reflect on our own failings?

3 Comments:

Blogger Auditus said...

Thesaurus-

My post was totally directed inward at my failings not only in the classroom but in life. I was not calling out Generation Y in the post (although I have been critical these last few months), I have met people and witnessed some extraordinary moments this term that I will never forget. I am disgusted that a natural instinct of mine is to acquiesce, the caution and politeness of "I do not mean to call out ..." is not necessary, yes you do, challenge me, and teach both of us.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thesaurus: I wholeheartedly agree with today's sentiment. Those teachers who are best--the best I've had, the best I see around me, the best I've been--are those who love their students rather than condescend to them. Though they're sometimes immature, very few of our students are stupid. It's why I'm a big fan of mandatory office hours: we remind one another that we're actually people and we mutually get to understand how much we can learn from one another.

thanks for your insights!

j

6:01 AM  
Blogger lynda said...

Actually, Stella & I love teaching. I can't imagine not working in higher education, not meeting with students on a day to day basis. But (a) given how much one-on-one contact I have with students during a given day at my job, which shall remain anonymous (definer can give you the details) to keep ME anonymous, it's sometimes challenging to understand how/why some students are pursuing higher education, and (b) seriously, who wants to hear about all the great, wonderful, good, and true students Stella and I see every day? I mean, we are called snarky girls for a reason.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home